Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Buying Joy

Probably if somebody were to advertise himself to be selling happiness, he'd be rich by now. After all, what's all these for really? Why do we even get out of bed, get out of our homes, go to work, deal with a whole lot of things we wouldn't even have to come to face with if we chose not to get out of bed in the first place.

Well, that's not entirely true. Because staying in bed would mean having to forego earning some moolah. And having no money entails having to face a whole lot of different issues.

So is it all about earning money then? Of course not. It's about finding joy.
Through money?

Not exactly, but partially. A few chunks more than the other components probably.

So, you get out of bed, do something else so you'd earn some money which would hopefully bring you closer to your joyous goals. Why can't it be as simple as getting out of bed and simply being happy? Some people say that happiness is a state of mind. Readers of the book 'The Secret' believe that 'inner happiness is the fuel of success' But can you have inner happiness without having an external stimuli--which you, of course would have to work for to have? Things that make you happy don't always come falling from the skies or growing from trees. But in some cases they probably do. But if you want more than occasional occurences of joy it's going to take some work. Not exactly having to look for a job, but probably more like finding your purpose. And when you finally find your reason for being, you make sure you're good at it. Then you'll be happy.

Then.

And until then, you go on living your days believing that you can make the most out of it. That you can touch as many lives even in the most mundane ways. That you don't waste any of your ticking moments to just wander the earth unaware of why you're even there in the first place. That you are looking for a purpose and that you will find it. Knowing that there is nobody out there who's selling happiness packed in a bottle; ready for consumption any which time you choose. Because happiness isn't for sale. It's free. If you just choose to believe you're entitled to it.

6 comments:

pouty said...

parang may tema lahat ng post mo ha. nakakapansin na ako. di naman kelangan single minded ang blog natin. Ü di rin kelangan poignant parati. Ü

kamusta na ba? miss na kita ng slight. sana nakahanap ka na ng sampling booth ng happiness.

cey enriquez said...

uy rj, ameeshu too :) naku, ganun ba yung dating? happy ending naman diba...yikes kailangan ko nang matuto magsulat ng mas masaya. masaya. patext naman ng mga dracula jokes mo, lalagay ko dito. para magkahapi-hapi!

Paolo Dy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paolo Dy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paolo Dy said...

You know, I have so many things to do pa that I can't honestly say I can relate right now -- but I do see myself feeling the same way someday. (Mainly because I had the same feeling when I was... ahem... eleven years old. hahahaha batang may issues!)

But if I were 24 and feeling this way I'd be looking at doing something like this:

http://www.vagabonding.net/

There's an interview with the author on Rick Steves' radio show:

Click here to listen to the show.


This may give you some insane ideas.
Don't say I didn't warn you. :D



Paolo

cey enriquez said...

Pao!!

I have got to have a copy of this book!! Tatawag na ko sa powerbooks kung may kopya nang makabili na!!

Hassle lang, I couldn't listen to the radio show. Firewall. Os-la. Weniwei...

"Vagabonding is about looking for adventure in normal life, and normal life within adventure. Vagabonding is an attitude — a friendly interest in people, places, and things that makes a person an explorer in the truest, most vivid sense of the word."

Hmmm...and thanks for warning me. The first few lines of the exerpt made me compute how much it would cost to just fly off and be. I just remembered, my passport's with me right now. As in, di ko pa natatanggal sa backpack ko. But then I remembered I have to get a Visa to get to those places I had in mind. Tapos may mga pinag-iipunan nga pala...Tapos, di pala ko nakapag-file ng leave...Tapos...

Arrrgh. Tama na. Basta, ok, fine, this has got to be in my 'Things to do before I die...erase erase...before I turn 30' list.

I will go vagabonding.

First off, I have got to have that book.

Thanks pao, for sharing these insane ideas(insane, pero hard-core hanep)!!

P.S.
goodluck sa wedding preps! Marriage=Adventure. Yeeehaw! So on that note Pao, Happy Vagabonding to you too. :)